Nobody wants to back up their WordPress website manually with complex database interface. We all need better backup plans. Fortunately, there are ways to save your time. With a WordPress backup plugin, you can back up and restore with the WordPress dashboard, so your site can be backed up regularly via automated scheduling. These are great backup plugins for you to consider choosing: UpdraftPlus and BackWPup.
Let’s take a quick look at these comparisons between the 2 plugins and decide which one you are in favour of.
The free version of BackWPup doesn’t quite match what you can get from UpDraft’s free plugin, but it’s still a powerful tool to backup your WordPress site and gets good user reviews. BackWPup’s free plugin gives you good scheduling options, the ability to manage separate file and database backups, and storage to your computer, email, FTP and multiple cloud options.
BackWPup Pro gives you multisite backup management, Google Drive backup and a few other bells and whistles. What’s missing? You can’t clone or migrate your site with BackWPup. And BackWPup Pro’s pricing is higher than average once you get into the higher pricing/more websites levels.
- Free version
- Easy to use
- Can schedule separate database and file backups
- Multiple free backup options to the cloud (Dropbox, Rackspace Cloud, SugarSync, S3 and more)
- Multisite backups
- 4.0/5.0 wordpress.org user rating
- Gets pricey for multiple domain licenses
- BackWPup restore is a stand-alone app and not yet integrated into BackWPup Pro
- No on-demand backup (must schedule)
- Doesn’t offer cloning and migration tools
UpdraftPlus is already the most popular plugin and is highest-ranked. You can do almost everything with the WordPress database backup plugin. You can get great results with UpdraftPlus’ free version, multiple backup locations to the cloud or your computer, single-click backup restore, scheduled and on-demand backups and more.
The premium version gives you easy cloning and migration capabilities, multisite backup tools, database encryption, access to priority support and a host of other advanced security and backup features.
UpdraftPlus users love to use the plugin. It is absolutely highly recommended for you.
- Easy-to-use interface
- Free version and competitive premium pricing
- Supports scheduled and on-demand backups
- Simple backup customization – you can schedule separate file and database backups
- More choices for remote storage locations than many others
- Excellent restore functionality
- Cloning and migration tools
- Good multisite backup features
- High wordpress.org user ratings: 4.8/5.0 stars
- Some users report difficulty figuring out the advanced configurations
- Premium support gives a quicker, more personal and hands-on service (however, users report that free support is good quality)
- No option to purchase lifetime updates
With the above comparisons, we conclude that UpdraftPlus won our best WordPress backup plugin showdown, in no small part for its competitive pricing, robust features, customization capabilities, and, most importantly, reliability. But every backup WordPress plugin has its pros and cons, and we hope we’ve given you the necessary information to help you choose which plugin is best for your individual site and budget needs.